Student Evaluation of Teaching Program
IEA conducts the official student evaluations of teaching at SJSU. To encourage wide participation and open feedback, students' identities are kept confidential and answers are only reported to faculty in summary form.
Significant Changes for Fall 2017
Starting in November 2017, SJSU is making a major change in the way SOTE/SOLATE are presented to students and faculty.
- -> All courses (both undergraduate and graduate), student teaching evaluations will be conducted using a new platform called MyCoursEval.
- -> Students in these classes will receive separate e-mail invitations at their preferred e-mail addresses, along with links in Canvas, to complete their evaluations.
Please contact the IEA office if you have any problems finding your evaluations!
After the end of the Fall 2017 semester, faculty teaching Business courses will receive new reporting options as well.
Background on SOTE and SOLATE
The Student Opinion of Teaching Effectiveness (SOTE) form is used in courses primarily taught in lecture and seminar formats. The Student Opinion of Laboratory and Activity Teaching Effectiveness (SOLATE) form is used in laboratory and activity courses. The content of SOTE/SOLATE, along with policies on teaching evaluations, come from the Student Evaluation Review Board (SERB) and the SJSU Academic Senate.
- Policy F12-6: Evaluation in Effectiveness in Teaching for All Faculty
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the New Online SOTE/SOLATE Policy and Procedures
Policies and Procedures
- Guidelines to access the SOTE/SOLATE reports (from MySJSU Account)
- Policies Related to SOTE and SOLATE
- Guidelines for Online Class Selection Process
- 2011 SOTE Interpretation Guides
- Revised SOTE Instrument and SOLATE Instrument